Saturday, February 7, 2009











Today was one of those surprise day...we are surprised to have a nice day. We went with our friends, Brent and Valaine Westover, on a great adventure. About 45 minutes from here there is the site of Haun's Mill. This is where 17 members of the church were killed by a mob back in 1838. It is a hard location to find and there is not much there when you do get there. The roads are most dirt getting there and most times of the year they are very muddy. It was located next to the Shoal Creek. As you can see from the pictures, it would have been a nice place for a mill. Looking at it from a woman's point of view, it would have been hard living there because I would have contently be telling people to wipe their feet. It never ceases to amaze me that people could live so far away from anyone else and yet cause so much hatred. As I sutdy more of church history, I realize that most of the mobbing was done in the wintertime. I used to think that was just cruel, but now I realize those men did not have anything to do. So to get out of the house, they would go cause trouble with their buddies.

2 comments: