
The great adventure of Ethelyn and Donise…It all began with Ethelyn needing to go to H and M to pick up some ointment and needed someone to go with her. Since I am usually open for anything, I was the one she called. We did her shopping there and I suggested we drive back on the dirt roads. I enjoy so much seeing the Amish farms and the animals, so off we went. Ethelyn then wanted to go to Sherwood Quilts where she did some other shopping. I am interested I learning how to do this “wagon-wheel” rug making that she knows how to do and I need a wheel to do that. She thought we could get one at the harness shop, so we headed back down Major Street. We had not gone far when we noticed a black horse running towards us when her harness on her. We looked down the road and saw and lady running after the horse. There were two cement trucks parked in the road as well. I opened the door, thinking that it might cause the horse to turn around, but she kept on running past us. We made a quick decision to turn around and follow the horse to see if there was any way we could keep cars from hitting it. A way down the road we saw an Amish woman, about our age, come running towards the road. We stopped and asked her if she saw the horse, she said that she did and that it was her son’s horse. We had her jump in the car and we went after her. The horse was already a quarter of a mile ahead of us, so we speeded up to catch up. Thankfully, there were no other cars on the road and “Daisy” the horse stayed on the right side of the road. Once we tried to go around her to see if we could head her off to one of the dirt roads, but she was just too frightened and ran as hard as she could right ahead. The weather was hot and we were all afraid that she would just run until she dropped. Finally, after running about 5 miles she turned off to a dirt road she knew where there is a shooting range. We followed her, but she ran down a path where a car couldn’t go. Our Amish friend, Edna Troyer, told us to let her out and she would walk down and she was sure that she would let her catch her. She asked us to go back to the accident and let them know that we know where the horse is and to send someone to help her. We turned around and headed that way. When we passed the lumberyard, I noticed two young men outside looking down the road. We turned around and went and talked with them. I asked if they had seen the horse, they had and that there was a truck with men in it going after it. We had not seen the truck, so we knew they were on the wrong path. We got the boys to jump in the car and we drove them down to where Daisy and Edna were. They jumped out and went to help her. It wasn’t long until they all were walking up the path with a very tired Daisy. The story goes that Edna’s son and daughter-in-law are building a home and the daughter-in-law had driven down to watch them pour the cement basement. The noise of the trucks had scared the horse and she bolted, ran the buggy into the ditch and then broke the harness and ran. The pregnant daughter-in-law was not hurt, thankfully. When we dropped Edna off at her home, she wanted us to have some strawberries that she had just picked from their garden. We were more than willing to accept them. They were delicious! I had just been saying to Ethelyn that morning that I would really like to be friends with an Amish woman. I would like to just sit down and talk like friends and compare our lives. We plan to go back to visit Edna next week and take her basket back and find something that we could share with her.
1 comment:
Yea! A post! Does Pop know how to get on here and type too? I hope so. I'm telling everyone I know about your blog so you better keep it up.
Post a Comment