Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Uchtdorfs could of been great friends

Karine Eliason shared an interesting story. She and Gordon are good friends with the Uchtdorfs. They met back in Glendale while Dieter was at Luke Air Force base teaching pilots. In fact, we ALL were in the same ward. The six of us even traveled up to Utah when two couples from the ward went to be sealed. Ten couples went together up to share in this exciting experience. A sad point is that I do not even remember the Uchtdorfs at all. Last year Karine had surgery and was at home recovering. One day the doorbell and rang and it was the Uchtdorfs. They were just in town and had heard that she was in need of a visit. After their visit, the Uchtdorfs were driving away and decided that it was a good time to get some gasoline. While Pres. Uchtdorf was pumping gas, a woman came up to him and asked if he was Pres. Uchtdorf. He said he was and then she said, "I think that my husband is having a heart attack. Would you please come give him a blessing?" He did and the man immediately began feeling better. The man turned out to be a member of the Eliasons’ ward. This is a wonderful story; nevertheless, I learned a valuable lesson from it. I am envious of the relationship that the Uchtdorfs and Eliasons have with each other. Then I think that we could be long time friends with the Uchtdorfs as well. We were in the same ward at the same time. As I look back and wonder why I do not even remember them, I realize that I had kept in my own little world, busy with family and the friends I already had. I was probably not interested in trying to make friends with people that could barely speak English and would not be there very long anyway. Because I did not go out of my “comfort zone”, I missed some wonderful friends. How many other people have I missed rich experiences with because I did not reach out to them? Each person on earth has something that could enrich my life. I am trying harder here on my mission to meet people and get to know them.

1 comment:

Joy For Your Journey said...

I love that story! And what a great application. Do you mind if I post it on my blog (you would be like a guest bloggist and then I would post a link to your blog) sometime next week? I think it is such a good lesson I would like my family to read it as well.